Monday, May 7, 2012

Random questions from strangers

I promise I will not keep a blog about just mom crap. But, this one is to express my concern for the human race. While I incubated Surround Sound, I fielded a ton of questions and thought they would stop once I had them. Nope. No. Not even close to correct.

Mind you, I went full-term with twins who came into the world at a whopping 13 pounds (total!) So, I wasn't a delicate looking, cute, always put together pregnant lady. I know a few like that and I want to shove cupcakes down their faces:) I was large and not in charge, but I worked until the Friday before my c-section. I was asked a kabillion times when I was due and at the end I must have looked like it would occur at any second.

Some of the pregnancy questions were the traditional what are you having? When are you due? Were you trying? blah, blah. But, being litter bearing I got more detailed questions. When I would say "they are due....." people would instantly ask me what they were and then ask if I was on drugs to do it. My response became "Well, I was drunk when it happened. Do you count Bud Light as a drug?" Don't ever ask a pregnant person if they were trying IVF or anything like that. It's just in bad taste because not everyone wants to shout it from the roof tops. Some things are private. *For the record, I simply won the genetic lottery and got the two cutest aliens in the world.

I also got a lot of questions about going back to work or when I was quitting my job. People.... I like working. I like adult interaction. I like getting out and using my brain. Why is it still ingrained in people's brains that women want to stop working when they have a child/children? Not that staying at home with a baby isn't work, but it isn't my idea of fun. I do it three days a week, while working on my 40-hour a week job stuff. I can do it and I want to. If you believe a woman must stay home, please stop reading.

My twice weekly doctors appointments for the last two months of my pregnancy was always laced with this question- "Are you having contractions?" I guess I was having little ones, but I wasn't going to go in to labor. I chatted with Surround Sound and told them come hell or high water they were getting out via an incision. But, after about three weeks of this question, I finally told the nurse that asking a first time mom if she is having contractions is like asking a virgin if she has had an orgasm. Pretty sure I had nothing to go on to know.

More people than I ever imagined ask this question, even knowing that they are boy/girl twins... "Are they identical?" Penis/vagina. End of subject. Do science teachers not teach any more?!

And then there was the ever annoying question of "Don't you love the feeling and experience of being pregnant?" Are you kidding me with that noise?!? What is fun about losing sight of your toes, spending money on fat kid clothes that never will be utilized again, spending endless amounts of time being poked and prodded by a rude doctor and then not being able to enjoy a whole summer or tailgate season?!?! If you loved pregnancy and had the glow and all that BS- congrats. But, it doesn't mean your kids are cuter or more fun than mine. I just couldn't wait to meet them. Someone else could have carried them for all I cared. I still knew they would be the bomb b/c their dad rocks. (score a bonus point for me!)

So, just don't ever ask someone if they are pregnant..... b/c they might just be fat. Don't ask a pregnant person if they work out. Don't tell someone you don't even know and have only seen once that they look great for just having had twins. Yes- that is you women in the town of Frederick, Okla. Do you hear me?!?!? I could have been a size 0 before this adventure started, you don't know.

But, all in all, questions intrigue me. It means people notice me:) But, think before you open your mouth. They aren't identical!! LOL.

Peace, Love and crabs- kck

6 months ago today!!!

2 comments:

  1. Sweet! You put into words what I thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hubby likes to answer "are they twins?"with "nope, one is my girlfriends". I don't think we've been to the store and not asked if they are twins, and they are 5! Love this post!

    ReplyDelete