Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Youth in Action

I am having a really, really hard time staying at my desk today knowing their is a cattle show right up the road. The one I am referring to is the Oklahoma Youth Expo- cattle, sheep, pigs and goats. Friends from all over are in town and I am chained to my desk! Oh well, I will head that way in a few and see the grand champion drive.

There is no feeling better than going to a youth livestock show and realizing that our future is in pretty good hands. Helping a 4-H or FFA member with their cattle is something I would love to turn into a full-time gig. Not only are they learning about agriculture, they are making friends, getting a lesson in the hard knocks of winning and losing. They know what dedication and hard work will do for a person. I have asked my 'rents what they think would have happened if my brother and I were not the end result of cattle shows. I think they can both tell you we would have ended up in jail. I mean, my one piercing episode almost got me hard time! Could you imagine me hanging out, playing video games all day in the summer. YUCK! Don't know how kids do it.

I was shocked to learn that a huge ag state like Georgia was thinking of cutting their state 4-H program. They propose it would save over $6 million. Do they not understand what trouble kids can get in to if they aren't mentored, shown the right path, taught to have a work ethic and to be honest? How sad. If you are the project of a 4-H program, like I am, I think you need to help spread the word. If you know anyone in Georgia that has one or two ears and something stuck between them, give them a rundown of how sad things could be without 4-H. I all ready have, that is why I am posting this here:) People won't answer my annoying calls anymore! HA

Until I get away from being boring, I will log off.
Signed,
A girl without a trip to juvenile rehab, jail or court b/c of 4-H (and her mom and dad and her God given common sense!)

1 comment:

  1. Amen sister. In Canada we didn't have FFA, 4-H was the big program. It doesn't matter what side of the border you are on, or what state you grew up on 4-H makes a huge impact on our youth.

    www.cdycattle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete